for those who are in or around sane

Monday, March 13

i come seeking knowledge

I haven’t listened to new music (with a few exceptions) since like, early last summer. There are a lot of reasons for this. I will not go into them at this point as they are in the past and I feel I’ve done a good job of ushering myself into the present. Let’s just say I got exhausted and turned on audiobooks and npr and didn’t stop.

I love music so much, but sometimes you cant find the right choices. Nothing seems good or right or fits what you need. I cant believe I went for almost a year of that. I guess there’s a first for everything. But, I have to say, I’ve grown a lot more b/c of it. I have a higher patience for new music, an ear that aches to hear something good and different. A less critical tongue when I hear something new. Music has reached an almost “unobtainable” quality for me, and I’m grateful for what I do get to hear. It’s sort of like getting a second chance.

I looked at a great February music list and realized I had heard of almost none of the bands/songs listed. It pretty much shocked me. in the past I had kept well in the loop through friends, radio stations like kexp and the current and through various searches/curiosities of my own. When you’re out of the loop, it’s hard to know where to start over. Where do I begin? Do I have my friends with greater knowledge make me mixes? Do I search for more great lists on blogs and individually explore them? How much time/effort can I put into this?

At this point, it feels as if I’ll never be up to snuff again. I’m so far behind that I’ll always be at least one step back. It’s depressing in and of itself!! So, here’s my plea. If you have a song, an album, an artist that has appeared within the last year and you feel it might be a good place for me to look, please let me know about it. i will be grateful.

4 Comments:

Blogger ~d said...

You can check out my best of 2005 list.. http://schdav.org/top5/music2005.shtml
Most of those you can probably find mp3s on the interwebs somewhere.

2:18 PM

 
Blogger dr gonzo said...

ooo. that rules. thanks schdav! :o)

2:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I think you would like some of schdav's music like death cab for cutie. I would start by asking friends though, especially friends who have good taste or similar taste. I heard about a band last week you might like, I think it was Space Monkeys(?) something like that - apparently they sound like the strokes, and the clash..

10lees

1:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah is the new Strokes.

Read Pitchforkmedia.com, yes they're a bunch of damn h------s but you'll have at least heard of a lot of good bands.

JK

Oh, Devotchka are incredible.

3:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home