for those who are in or around sane

Wednesday, April 19

can't i just get a new pair??

I’m in the middle of figuring out my contact preference. Its not exciting. It’s not fun. In fact, its rather discouraging and disheartening. And semi-painful. But onward I plod, taking full advantage of my one-time co-pay.

About this time last year, it became apparent that my daily headaches were caused by squinting. A lot of it. I must say, I’m damn good at deciphering words from a blurry line. In fact, I passed 2 driver’s vision tests this way. I really don’t like that they let you “take your time” while deciding which way the “E” is pointing. It’s a bit unsettling.

Anyway, after I sucked it up and hauled myself into the eye doctor, I went through a battery of different brands of contacts. Eventually, settling on one brand, I ordered enough for the year. By the end of the year, I was sick of the way they felt – as if they were rotating in my sockets ie Mad Eye Moody.

So this year, I made my appointment, endured the puff of air that’s really a device from satan, and squinted at the eye charts. I was given a new brand with a new prescription, blinked a bit, and was sent on my way.

The first pair was toooo sticky (they allowed for no adjustment if and when I needed it).

The second pair was toooo wiggly (ie Mad Eye again)

The third pair…. Well, I’m wearing them right now. I just got them. I’m not going to jump to conclusions here. And I’m certainly not going to wear glasses 24/7. So knock on wood. Yes. For me, please. For my eyes. For the sake of drivers that encounter me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that I am not a huge fan of my current contacts either, they are pretty good though. I used to be able to wear my surevues forever, but my current ones not so much. Maybe that is because my eyes have gotten more sensative.

Bonus on the one time copay!!

10lees

9:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stopped wearing contacts because of a similar experience. Nowadays I'm about to give up glasses as well. They are always getting bent, lost, dirty, etc... I'm probably going to go with voluntary blindness(laser surgery is expensive and scary). I'll get a seeing eye dog and one of those sticks and everything.

8:16 AM

 
Blogger dr gonzo said...

well now there's an option i didnt consider... ha!

10:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's always this[www.lasikathome.com/foureasysteps.htm]

The problem with seeing eye dogs is that you get really attached to them--almost like it's your kid--but they only live for about 15 years. Apparently efforts have been made to train miniature horses to serve as eyes for the blind but no word yet on how successful it is.

JK

12:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home