for those who are in or around sane

Wednesday, June 14

fanny packs and velcro shoes - in or out?

Standing in my underware, sucking in my spare tire, surveying the chaos in my room lead me to only one conclusion: I have no clothes worthy of New York City. Sure my style is a bit off beat and rumpled, but for Chicago, on a good day, it’s reasonably hip. One might even say sophisticated (on a VERY good day). But I’m going to NY in a few days to visit a friend and here I stand, with a pile of unsatisfactory clothes to shove into my suitcase.

I’m not looking to be trendy. I just want to blend it. To not look like a complete and total Midwestern tourist. But, with my current budget, I guess that’s all I can hope for.

One might ask where I got this idea of “fashion” in my head. One might ask this b/c I’m not really “savvy” in this department on a daily basis. Well, thank you media. My audiobook of the moment is The Devil Wears Prada (which is decisively poorly written but brain candy nonetheless) and the talk of haute couture is contagious. I am also a huge fan of (what else) Sex & the City, and, on the opposite yet still trendy end, the literary scene. Both of which advertise a “look” and a “feel” of what a good NYer is supposed to emulate.

So I must revel in my Midwestern tourist charade. Charade? Is that the right word? I’m not pretending to be one, I am, in fact, one. But as a 20-something professional, I feel that I should represent Chicago in an appropriate manner. Instead, I’ll hang my camera around my neck, grab a nylon fanny pack and start walking blindly around Manhattan…. No… i kid. But I do believe that I will say “eff it all” and don my tshirt, jeans and sensible walking shoes and wander around Central Park, enjoying the fact that at least I’m not the one wearing a fanny pack.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that as long as you aren't wearing a fanny pack and eyeing people suspiciously you should be fine. Just remember - when in doubt completely ignore whatever is happening...

I am not sure that is completely sound advice, but that's all I got today :-) and HAVE FUN in NYC!!!

10lees

12:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you have a lot of fun!!!

D, Linds, and I totally got asked for directions on the subway by someone with a Brooklyn accent, and we wore our jeans and sweatshirts the entire time we were there. I think the great thing about NYC is that there are so many different "looks." You don't have to be "Manhattan" to fit in.

I think the key to blending in is to not care. Also, to blend in, I reccommend holding on to the pole before the subway starts moving. You know, if you're trying not to look like a stupid tourist.

I took my fuzzy grey purse with the long strap, hung it the way I always do (crossways), and looped my thumb through the big ring seperating the purse from the strap. No problems. Still got asked for directions at least twice.

Have fun, be safe, and tell me all about it when you get back!

3:36 PM

 
Blogger littlebmouse said...

It really isn't going to matter what you wear anyways because the second you open your mouth everytone will know where your from. Which is fine because Chicago is not excatly small midwestern bumkin town. Its ok to be a tourist as long as your not a stupid one. You know the one wearing the fanny pack and snaping pictures of anything and everything in sight.

7:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home