for those who are in or around sane

Tuesday, June 28

Life, or a view of it.

Realism: the doctrine that the external world exists independently of perception; in logic, the doctrine that universal or class ideas (eg, man) have objective realities corresponding to them.

Idealism: the view that the existence of objects depends wholly or in part on the minds of those perceiving them or that reality is composed of minds and their states.

Fatalism: is, roughly, the view that the future is already set and therefore, that human deliberation and actions are pointless because things have to be the way they have to be.

Optimism: is a lifeview where one looks upon the world as a positive place. Optimists generally believe that people are inherently good. They have a "positive" outlook on life, believing that given time, things will work out in the end.

Pessimism: generally, describes a belief that things are bad, and tend to become worse; or that looks to the eventual triumph of evil over good; it contrasts with optimism, the contrary belief in the goodness and betterment of things generally. Philosophical pessimism describes a tendency to believe that the life has a negative value, or that this world is as bad as it could possibly be.

Proactive: controlling a situation by causing something to happen rather than waiting to respond to it after it happens

I am a proactive optimist. My mother is an optimist. My father is a true blue idealist. My sister is a pessimist. My husband is, ironically, a proactive fatalist. My three best friends are an idealist, a proactive realist and a proactive optimist. i'd say i have the gamut covered, eh?

there are many other philosophical views of life, but i sort of deduced that these are the most prominant. i added proactive b/c i feel that it is a clarifying adjective/verb. Some people have misdiagnosed me as a realist, but its only b/c i'm proactive.

i'm trying to decide if being proactive is a good thing. i know that it's not entirely bad, but it's not always healthy to over-anticipate. i get personal satisfaction out of planning and double checking, but i am also in love with spontinaiety (as long as it falls in a plausible realm of my prepared-ness). like, when i go on vacation, say i meet some new friends and we go out on the town, wherever the wind blows us.... if they happen to say, "we're all doing drugs now!" or "STRIP CLUB!" i know i wouldnt do it. even if it was just a lark, it doesnt fall in my normal lifestyle or in the category of "things i want to do some day". i guess it's a healthy choice.

what do you think you are? for those of you who know me, do you think i diagnosed friends & family correctly?

13 Comments:

Blogger Becky P. said...

Fatalism, as I understand it, at least... has a core centered on the fact that everything humans do is not only motivated by death or a fear thereof, but will ultimately result in it.

It shares a close relationship with Determinism, to which I tend to adhere, which seems to be more what you describe under fatalism... perhaps they are roughly the same thing... fatalism simply being the stricter of the two.

Determinism suggests that free-will as it is generally accepted, is a farce. That since everything in the universe is govenerned by laws, so must anything in the universe. One of the better quotes about it... as an example, is this: "A man can surely DO as he wills, but he cannot choose WHAT he wills."

The greater idea behind it being a logical issue of the impossibility of TESTING free will. There is no way we can prove it exists, because there is no way to go back in time and change an action or decision... As I have said before, because of this, in a sense, no one ever has any option save the one he or she choses. Somewhat unlike Fatalism, in that it doesn't carry the same element of meaninglessness... dang difficult to explain, really. Brain rattling stuff, to be sure.

1:29 PM

 
Blogger dr gonzo said...

well, that was a general definition i got off of Google... i thought it was a pretty good summary. you can always argue semantics though.

1:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you diagnosed yourself and your husband correctly. I don't really know your mom that well, and I am unsure who your three best friends are or which you consider to be which.

I am fairly certain that I am a realist. ;) Not sure about the proactive part. I would certainly like to be proactive someday. I'm adding it to my list of goals. I am probably at least somewhat proactive.

I am told that I used to be a pessimist. It's also possible that I am a pessimistic realist, but I certainly don't think that the world is as bad as it can possibly be. And people for generations have thought that the world was as bad as it could possibly be.

So, I probably buy into realism more than anything due to the fact that I do really believe that there is The Reality and then there are the realities that go on inside our heads, none of which are the same.

2:11 PM

 
Blogger Becky P. said...

lol... sorry Gonzo...

I seem to keep running into this conversation. I have a friend who loves to argue philosophical stances with me, and have developed a very pavlovian response to any indication of that type of discussion... traumatized, perhaps. Cursed Philosophers... they're nothing but trouble, anyway.

"Of course I can't prove that I exist! I can't even prove to the credit card folk that I paid them last month!"

So... is there a category for "reactive?" I might be a "reactive realist"...

2:51 PM

 
Blogger Becky P. said...

Reactive surrealist, maybe... welcome to the learned school of Da-da-daism...

(anyone remember that VW commercial?)

Okay... I should shush.

2:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well after finding out who your three best friends are I would agree that bets is an idealist and I don't know Lauren well enough to guess what she is, but I would diagnose Bran as a proactive fatalist not a proactive realist because she tends to think the worst thing possibly is going to happen - mainly so she can be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't. (I'm far away so she can't beat me up when she reads my opinion)... of course she may agree :-)

I am torn between Idealist and Realist. This is perhaps because I believe there is a Reality but I believe that humans are captive to their own perceptions of that Reality and create their own reality out of it. In fact one of my goals in life is to step outside of my own reality and see the bigger Reality, this could (in a smaller way) be referred to as empathy. As in, it is one thing to know the Reality is that children are starving in Africa, it is another to be the reality in Africa starving. You are captive to your own reality. It's easy to point both problems and solutions out when you are not in the reality.

Ooohh, Mardou you are creeping up on the line of self defeating logic. If I cannot know anything, how can I know that I know nothing? It is impossible to determine that you do not know anything because to know that you don't know anything you would have to know something. Which is exactly what you are arguing against knowing...

10lees

5:09 PM

 
Blogger Becky P. said...

All I'm saying is that I suffer an intense suspicion that that everything I have ever thought has been an intense suspicion... and not a whole lot more. ;)

6:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, yes I get that suspicion too :-)

10lees

6:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But if I bite into a taco in the woods with my ears plugged and no one else is around to hear it, does it still make a crunching sound?

Lo

1:11 PM

 
Blogger dr gonzo said...

has anyone tried those new taco wraps from Toxic Hell yet? for some reason they look good.... am i delusional??

9:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohmygosh. I totally saw those when I made a run for the border yesterday, and they look amazing. Practically everyone in the place had ordered one, and if it's really as portable as the commercial says, I have died and gone to heaven. I can't tell you how many times I've thought to myself, "Self, I would like a taco while I drive." To which I have replied, "HA! You are your mother's daughter, which means you would be wearing it and possibly dead from lack of attention to the road. You will get McDonald's and like it."

I regret not trying one yesterday very much.

Lo

2:59 PM

 
Blogger Becky P. said...

Fast food gives me very surrealist feelings of indigestion and fatalist paranoias about my cardiovascular health.

It is apparently not in my philosophical cards to ever try the New toxic hell taco wrap.

Alas! Cruel destiny!

12:16 AM

 
Blogger dr gonzo said...

i only eat fast food when necessary. and i dont count Jimmy Johns, Chipotle or Noodles as fast food. the last time i had McDonald's was probably 5 months ago. i ate Culvers in April and almost vomited. and i havent eaten at Toxic Hell since college. so my curiosity about this new wrap is probably PMS related. but i do think i'll try it. :o)

11:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home