for those who are in or around sane

Wednesday, July 23

garden, pt 7 : feed me seymour, FEED ME!


a tip of the hat to the old adage "the kettle wont boil if you watch it"... i now am the proud "mama" of two nearly ripe tomatoes! as i suspected, the two re-potted monsters are of the yellow variety. After my busy week/weekend and a steady 2-day rainfall which kept me inside and unawares, the little guys popped their color.



the red plants aren't doing bad at all. in fact, i have quite a few little guys struggling to fill out. i'm seeing some roots pop out of the top of the soil. intuition (and imagination) says it rained a bit much and the roots simply needed a breath of air. i am inclined to put some extra soil on top and provide a bit of plant food. any yays/nays or other advice out there?




my prolific herbies maintain their productivity. never failing me, they spread steadily and respond rapidly to my regular trimmings. if i cooked more, i'm sure i'd have an audry issue on my hands...

the last surprise came from my bastard child - the aloe plant. i purchased it about 2 years ago and was told it's very hard to kill an aloe plant. i think i loved the aloe plant a bit too much. in fact, i'm pretty sure i abused it with un-desert-like treatment. circumstances as they were, i thought i killed it last year. unable to admit my defeat, i took it with me through the big moves and finally resigned to leaving it on the porch, unattended. alone in it's ideal environment (hot, day-long sun exposure, with lack of attention and water) the little guy actually started thriving. the green is inching back up the stalks! it's a miracle, folks.



of course, what was the first thing i did when i realized what was happening? i watered it. doh!!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger LoWriter said...

Maybe that's what's wrong with my aloe. I think my aloe needs some new dirt, actually. He seems to grow better when he is wet, but he never looks well. Thanks for the tip. It's so hard to get sun on my balcony. Maybe I'll send him home with Ben.

Your plants are lovely! You make me antsy for next year when I can have a garden (which I will likely kill). :)

9:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home