for those who are in or around sane

Tuesday, November 22

power surge

technology is funny. its addictive, and makes you feel superior. it has the ability to create delusions of grandeur. i am fully guilty of this. i went to the Y the other day, and decided to watch the last episode of Lost while i elliptisized. so there i am, feeling totally good about my physical and technological prowess. i might even use the word "glow" to describe my aura.

i must say, nothing took me down a notch, either. i got nods of appreciation from the peeps surrounding me (peeps that have, in the past, given me a nod for a particular "smart" book i'll be carrying around; and peeps who never give me the time of day b/c i'm not at the y 24/7). this illusion of power continued as i showed my new toy to friends. admiring beams, drooling etc are all powerful assersions of my power.

and so i am addicted. when my phone (which has been acting up since, oh, april) turned off unexpectedly yesterday, i said "eff this!!" and promptly got myself a replacement today. it's a pretty little thing. i was sorely tempted to get either the sidekick rip-off or the video-recorder/camera/mp3 player phone. but i checked myself and only got the new LG pix phone. but i've never had a pix phone before. i thought about all the fun i could have with it. and when i take pix, i can put them on my ipod. and i can put them on my blog, thereby sharing them with the world.

the power continues. i've been figuring i need a new computer for a few years now. mine is the hp from '98 and in sore need of upgrades. however, if i got a brand new mac, i could once again rule the world. or at least have access to the world.

so now i must sit on my hands. be happy with what i have. enjoy when others can bask in my glory, even as the numbers dwindle b/c they all go out and buy thier own electronic goodness. no more toys for me! (for now....)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home